Monday, June 15, 2009

St. Michael's Church



Friday I went out for a little stroll around town. You know, what else was there to do than get out into the open air. I was letting my whims take me wherever they would lead. Every now and then this giant church caught my eye. It makes me think about all it has gone through and what it still holds inside. I have visited it before but only spent a minimal amount of time there. See, I was trying to dadge the uncomfortable 'I-don't-want-to-have-to-make-a-donation-to-your-church' feeling. But Friday was different, in that I kinda of did want to make a donation to that church and check out what it had to really offer. I wanted to get my full 2 euros worth.

The large dark entrance doors were very open, as they always are for some reason. I thought, "Why not?" So I go in with the intent to snoop around the catacombs a little more than I had last time I was there. There I discovered a semi-hidden room i was too frightened to look into. And when I entered it this time was a little more stunned at the contents. Three large sarcophagi and a small baby-sized one. All were adorned with old baroque-style, over-the-top elegance.

After my trip under the church, there was a woman who allowed me to go up to the top of the locked bell tower. That was a total surprise to me. She pretty much walked up to me with an odd glimmer in her eye and stuffed me up the tower for 1.50 euro. Whatevs. So i go up the endless stair and pause at all the landings to investigate. If i were to work at this church it would take me a hell of a long time to feel comfortable with all the kooky creepiness they have stowed away there. For god's sake man. But finally at the top it was all worth it. To be able to look over the city center from the bell tower that I see looming over it from the street everyday was pretty great.

Thanks unknown church lady for letting me check out the churchy things you have there. Thank you St. Micheal's church for being crazy old and making me feel overly adventurous.

This one's for you, bros.

No comments: