Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Back to school!

Finally a last push towards the end of the semester. Papers and projects. Most of the students have been showing up to class completely unaware that there was actually homework during the break. This made for a real awakening once class started last Monday.

Here's a poem from from the mid seventies. I think it tells a good waking up story. Makes me feel all rosy inside.

________________________________________________

Looking around the room. I've awakened in a foreign bed.
Not so bad as there is someone here with me.
Soft scratching sounds as my hair rustles against the pillow.
Warm orange light coming in through the wall of curtain covered glass.
Its fresh. She must have opened the window.
I wonder what I'll eat for breakfast. Last time it was pasta.
Today warm bread and jam. Espresso on the side.
I have not a care in the world.

Gretna, NE 7/16/1976
_______________________________________________