Sunday, January 3, 2010

Forever New Year

I made it back from Budapest last night. It felt as if yesterday was split into two days. The first part was spent traveling (16+ hours by bus and train from Budapest to Jena by way of Bratislava, Prague, and Dresden). The second part punctuated by the ever human quest for nourishment (a trip to subway followed by a very mouthwatering supermarket visit). Now, however, I am waiting for sleepiness to take over as I watch 'State of Play' and anticipate the new day tomorrow. Classes begin again for me at 2pm. A relaxing reintroduction into curricular matters is slowly taking over.


Christmas was another amazing adventure altogether. I had no expextations except to eat, and eat we did. I was met at the Roman airport by my good friend Giulia, who was kind enough to let me stay with her and her family. From the 23rd to the 28th of December mastication was the main activity. Though on repeat occations the Itallian family with whom I was staying made it implicitly clear that the amount of eating going on during the holidays is not normal and by no means should be a measure of the typical Italian's lust for food. If I were to come back any other time, they promised, I would see a very typical culture of food. During these five days my mouth was literally overrun by all things edible. On the 24th the meal consisted of five rounds of fish. The meat came the next day. It was on the 26th when i thought to myself, "I could never live here. Its an Italian restaurant with no end." That is by no means a negative. But growing up with the American food culture i have become very used to trading off food nationalities as my desire sees fit. By the 28th it was time to say goodbye to Rome for a while.

I caught my plane back to Berlin where I hopped on a train to Dresden. In Dresden I was layed over until about 3am on the 29th when my Hungarian bus arrived to take me away to Budapest.


For the four days I had some company. I would be spending alot of my time with two very pleasant Brazilian exchange students, Bernardo and Gabriel. I've known Gabriel since the beginning of the winter semester so it would prove no problem to pal around with them and see what trouble we could get into. Where in Rome I just ate in Budapest I just danced. I was able to bring in the new year by dancing for seven hours straight. It was at dawn we finally made our way back to the Hostel. The new year should prove to be a good one. I'm very glad to meet you 2010. Double digets is cause for double trouble? sure.

I Found a poem in Sal's box written while bringing in the year 1982. It must have been a somber and reflective time for him. It's not so much a sad poem as it is contemplative one. Enjoy...
_____________________________________________________________________________
Forever New Year -

In a forever new year I trace dark wrinkles between thumbs and index fingers.
... I walk and remember those connections like tendons severed for lack of interest.
... I gaze around rooms and contemplate the cracks and lives of dust bunnies.
... I make a reference, though whispered, in homage to all things humanly created.
In a forever new year I wait for the sun to rise and watch as this space gains a soul.

Cody, WY 1/1/1982
____________________________________________________________________________

No comments: